Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Zombie Apocalypse

One of my favorite television programs right now is "The Walking Dead," returning to AMC on October 11, 2013.  I suspect most everyone has heard about the show, whether they've watched it or not, and zombies are a hot item right now.  I really enjoyed the movie "Warm Bodies" earlier this year when it played, and of course, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake is my all-time favorite zombie-raiser/destroyer.  Her latest novel, "Affliction," was terrific - the graphic sex in the novels truly is necessary to the character and the plots that have developed over time (20 years!), and in this particular novel, the focus is less on the extraordinary sex than on the character relationships, which remain especially human.  It also focuses on a potential "zombie apocalypse."

All of which leads me to my main question today, am I prepared for a zombie apocalypse?  No, I'm not. Given my many health issues, I've already established that I would have died at a lot younger age if I had been born even a century ago, let alone earlier than that.  An apocalypse of any sort these days would probably kill me off early as well.  But if I were forced to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, I have given some thought about where I would go.  I would bunker down in a hospital - not only for my current health issues, but also for any others that might occur as part of the apocalyptic chaos.  I figure with others around, we could defend the safe wards in a hospital and have plenty of supplies to survive at least until I die - which we are all going to do at some point.  The issue I have is how would I live during my remaining days? Probably much as I am today - reveling in hot baths (if that's a possibility), reading the tons of books I still have yet to read, and thinking crazy thoughts about matters like a zombie apocalypse.  I hope that I would still remain kind to people and animals, pray daily in thanks for the blessings that I receive, and make the most of the relationships that I have with those around me.






No comments:

Post a Comment